House Plants - Dangerous for your Pets?

Is anyone else noticing that lately all of the home show reveals are LOADED with house plants? Potted plants on the floor, on the shelves, on the counters, on the tables, even hanging from the ceilings?!

House plants can make your home feel alive and warm, but there are a few things to consider before heading to the garden center.

If you have beloved pets running around, your options may be limited. The following is a list of 5 plants that could be dangerous if ingested by your cat and/or dog.

1. Fiddle Leaf Fig

Can cause excessive drooling, vomiting, trouble swallowing, pawing at the mouth, lack of appetite, and mouth irritation.

2. Aloe Vera

The gel/juice itself isn’t harmful to your pet, but the other parts of the plant can harm a dog’s digestive system.

3. Ivy (Hedera Helix)

Your dog may develop a rash and/or breathing problems (or worse) if the plant is eaten.

4. Jade (Crassula Ovata)

Ingesting it can result in a slow heart rate (bradycardia) and/or depression, vomiting and incoordination (ataxia).

5. Lilies

The Peace Lily is toxic to dogs and cats (they could vomit or have trouble swallowing). The Stargazer and the Easter Lily are toxic for cats only (it affects their appetite and kidneys).

See a plant you LOVE and want in your home? Make sure you do some research first to make sure that all the living things in your home will get along.

Call The Radcliffe Team today for a free staging consultation if you are interested in selling your home.